Family of George
Nutter and Alice (GIBBON) ROSIER
of Fayette County Iowa & Cass County Missouri
George Nutter Rosier, son of Lawrence and Esther (Kayser) Rosier, was born 26 Feb 1826. The article below states he was born in Logan County, Ohio; the 1900 census lists his birthplace as VA. He died 30 June 1906 in Cass County, Mo. On the 20th of May 1852 he married Alice Richardson GIBBON, daughter of William Gibbon/Gibbons. She was born 19 April 1834 in Yorkshire, England, and died 7 March 1898 in Missouri. Both George and Alice Rosier are buried at Sharon Cemetery, Cass Co., Mo.
The following is from, "Drexel: The First 100 Years," published in 1989 by Drexel Centennial Committee, Drexel, Missouri.
"George Nutter Rosier, born in Logan County, Ohio, . . . . . came to Bates County, Missouri, before the Civil War. He first removed to Fayette County, Iowa, in 1846 where he married Alice L. GIBBONS on May 20, 1852. They came west where he bought land in Bates County and lived near Trading Post in Linn County, Kansas. When the border became an unsafe place to live, George Rosier took his family back to Iowa.
When the Civil War was over, three Rosier brothers came to Missouri in 1865. Asa ROSIER lived at the village of Rosier in Bates County, Jake ROSIER lived near Merwin, and George Nutter ROSIER settled on a farm west of the townsite of Rosier.
Alice, wife of George N. Rosier, was born in Yorkshire, England, and came to America with her parents William Gibbons. They settled near Geneva, New York, until 1851 when they removed to Fayette County, Iowa, where George and Alice were married. . . . . .
The children of George and Alice Rosier were:
1. Lawrence William ROSIER, born April 28, 1854; married Abbie McNEIL and died November 4, 1928.
2. Sarah (Sade) E. ROSIER, born June 28, 1856; married Daniel Boone STEWART and died October 4, 1938. He died in 1942.
3. Christopher Richardson ROSIER born September 27, 1858; went to California, died May 5, 1949.
4. Esther Judith ROSIER born August 2, 1860; married Charles Freemount CHAMBERS, died December 14, 1936.
5. Mary Jane ROSIER born February 8, 1864, married Nepolian Lee STEWART, died June 11, 1935.
6. Asa Shinn ROSIER born September 12, 1868, died June 26, 1949.
7. Clara Helen ROSIER born Jan. 3, 1872, died February 8, 1957. She married Jan. 19, 1894, Joseph M. GENTRY.
. . . . . . . . . . Submitted by Jean SMITH"
According to cemetery records, George N. and
Alice ROSIER also had the following children who died in infancy
(1) Infant daughter - b. and d. May 1853 - Fayette Co IA
(2) Ella Nora ROSIER - b. 5 Apr 1862 - d. 1864 - buried West Union Cem., Fayette Co, IA
(3) Asa Cory ROSIR - b. 11 Oct 1866 - d. 17 Apr 1867 - buried West Union Cemetery, Fayette Co, IA
(4) George McClellan ROSIER - b. 6 Sep 1870 in Mo. - d. 26 Sep 1870 in Mo.
(5) Georgie Alice ROSIER - b. 28 Dec 1874 - d. 6 May 1880 - buried West Union Cem. Fayette Co, IA
(6) Daniel Darnall ROSIER - b. 18 Mar 1876 - d. 12 May 1880 - buried West Union Cem. Fayette Co, IA