(The following story was printed in, "A
Biographical History of Nodaway and Atchison Counties Missouri,:
Published Chicago, 1901; The Lewis Pub. Company)
"The subject of this
sketch, one of the leading and influential citizens of Barnard,
Missouri, was born in Pulaski county, Kentucky, June 29, 1838,
and is a son of James F. and Rachel (SPEARS) HAINEY, also
natives of Kentucky. His paternal grandparents were James and
Nancy (CRITTENDEN) HAINEY, the latter a cousin of Hon. John J.
CRITTENDEN, of national fame, and also a relative of Thomas
CRITTENDEN, ex-governor of Missouri. In early life the
grandfather, James HAINEY, was a farmer and blacksmith of North
Carolina, but spent his last days in Kentucky as a minister of
the Baptist church. He was never a slave-owner, and was a man
highly respected and esteemed by all who knew him. His old
flint-lock gun, which he carried at the battle of New Orleans
during the war of 1812, is now in possession of our subject and
will be handed down to future generations as a relic. It was
also used by the great-grandfather in the Revolutionary War, and
in killing Indians as well as wild game. In the family of James
HAINEY, Sr., were nine children, namely:
Our subject's maternal grandfather, William SPEARS, was a prominent farmer and slave-owner of Kentucky and an influential Democrat. His children were:
James HAINEY, Jr., the father of our subject,
followed farming in Kentucky until April, 1851, when he removed
with his family to Missouri and entered land and improved a
farm, making it his home until his death in 1862. He was a
Douglas Democrat and a supporter of the Union during the Civil
war. He was a true southern gentlemen and a consistent member of
the Baptist Church. After his death his wife lived with our
subject, where she died in 1894 (probably should be 1892).
Their children were:
Two of the sons were soldiers of the Union
Army during the Civil War.
P. J. HAINEY accompanied his parents on their removal to this state in 1851, and remained at home until reaching manhood. For a time he pursued his studies in a log school house, and through his own exertions has obtained a good practical education. In 1861 he enlisted in a volunteer militia organization to resist Caleb Jackson's attempts at secession. . . . "
The following paragraph referring to
P. J. HAINEY, is excerpted from, "The
Civil War and Nodaway County, Missouri, Part II, Military Data
of 3,041 Civil War Soldiers," by Martha L. Cooper,
". . . . His command was in this congressional district and he remained most of the time in the vicinity of St. Joseph. In 1864 he enlisted in the 16th Iowa Volunteer Infantry and was with Sherman on the march to the sea. When Lee surrendered, P. J. was ill and in the hospital at Willet's Point, Long Island and from there sent home. While enroute home he heard of Lincoln's death. Mustered out at Davenport, Iowa, June 5, 1865, after serving four years. Was constable, notary, abstract business in Barnard."
(The following story was printed in the, "Illustrated Historical Atlas of Nodaway County Missouri - Containing Maps of Villages, Cities and Townships of the County" Published by the Anderson Publishing Co. 1911, Reprinted 1979 by Unigraphic, Inc.")
"I was born in Pulaski
County, Kentucky, June 29, 1838, and lived there with my
parents, James F. and Rachel HAINEY, until March 15, 1851, when
we started for Missouri with two yoke of oxen and an old-time
crooked wagon-bed, now called box. We meandered along, many days
to Louisville with a tendered-footed team, having been on the
pike several days. In the meantime having traveled about one
hundred and thiry miles, then father concluded to board a
steamer at Louisville.
We came down the Ohio and up the Mississippi to St. Louis, was aboard the Lexington, by her officers claimed to be the fatest boat on the river. Accidentally or intentionally we fell in with a find packet from New Orleans soon after we struck the Mississippi River; said boat's crew seemed to dispute our title as the speediest boat, and Oh! such a boat race as we had! It lasted for several hours and our boat won the race, reaching St. Louis first. Many had not yet recovered from their scare over that desperate race. We changed boats at St. Louis, taking an old slow steamer, named " Anthony Wayne " for St. Joseph, Missouri. The river had not begun its spring rise and was low and full of sandbars and snaggs. The prevailing strong spring winds were facing our boat and the wind and obstructive sandbars conspired against us to the extent that we were 11 days from St. Louis to St. Joseph, then a mere village; and landed there on the evening of April 13, 1851. Pulled out of St. Joe by ox team on the morning of the 14th for Nodaway County, reached near the county line south of where Guilford now is on the evening of the 16th of April.
Father located about three miles southeast of Guilford, where neighbors were scarce, but they were of the true-blue kind and thought nothing of going from two to five miles to wait on and watch with the sick. We had no buggies, spring wagons or horse wagons of any kind, but worked Buck and Bright, or Tom and Jersey. (oxen)
We had no laid out or worked roads, but generally meandered with the ridges and followed Indian trails for crossing of streams, for in most places the streams were miry and impossible to cross, but Indian trails always led to gravel or rock crossings where it was safe fording. A bridge, large or small, was not to be found in the community.
We got our mail once a week if streams were not too high or snow not too deep. It was delivered at Whitisville in Andrew County, carried on horse-back from Savannah. A small sack was ample space for the weekly mail for all the northern part of Andrew and southern part of Nodaway counties.
The lands of Nodaway County were nearly all vacant or government lands, the few pre-emptions that had been made were without exception along the streams and composed of timber tracts. Five to fifteen acres composed the farms, twenty-five acres in cultivation was then a big farm. People required but little tillable land as they had but little stock and it run at large and required but little except when snow covered the ground, and stock of all kinds flourished and fattened on the range. Mast being abundant, hogs became well fattened, beside wild game was abundant; all kinds from the deer to the squirrel, consequently wild meat was plentiful.
The Indians had recently left here and gone to Kansas and Nebraska and owned and occupied all west of St. Joseph and the Missouri River, but often returned and camped for the winter along the streams for the purpose of hunting and trapping, and their adroit manner of packing their ponies from ears to tail with cured furs would be interesting at this date.
Schools were rare, few and far between, and not more than three months term in any year, but some of us walked three miles to school and did learn a little about spellin', readin', writin' and 'rithametic, and only a little, for we had to stay at home and haul wood for two big fireplaces or go to mill one-third of the school term.
Preaching was almost as scarce as schools and was only had once every month or two at the log school house. It had a sod top and the windows had neither sash nor glass. It was heated by a fireplace and the worshippers sat on seats made of puncheons set upon lets. But then everybody attended meeting, young and old, maybe on foot or horseback and often the whole family went in an ox wagon including the beaux of the daughters. But the daughters and their beaux were different from this day and did not spread on so much style. But I think were just as pretty and as honest. Did much more work, thereby got manual exercise which produced muscle sufficient for any emergency and resulted in rosy cheeks and red lips without artificial means. BUT WHAT ANOTHER SIXTY YEARS WILL BRING FORTH, I DO NOT EVEN PREDICT."
P. J. HAINEY "In
The Newspaper Business"
(Excerpted from a booklet entitled, "Centennial History, Barnard, Missouri 1870-1970")
"Story of Barnard Newspaper"
(Reprint from The Barnard Bulletin - May 3, 1923)
"The Barnard newspaper has
attained a prominent place among the papers of Nodaway County
and probably no other paper in the county has had as checkered a
career. At times since it was established there has been no
paper at all and at other times it has passed with rapid
succession from owner to owner. Some editors have owned it
several different times and for a considerable length of time. .
. . . .
P. J. HAINEY bought out J. Z. CURNUTT in 1889, and published a newspaper that was known as "The Barnard Rustler ." The Rustler was one of the best known papers in Northwest Missouri and was freely quoted by other publications. Hainey had his office in a building south of Hotel Bolin. This building later was destroyed by fire.
After Hainey had obtained a reasonable success as an editor, he sold out to Reed Brothers. . . . . .
The Barnard paper has always been non-partisan except during the time P. J. HAINEY was editor when it inclined very heavily to the support of the Democratic party. . . .
The early mechanical equipment of the office was very meager, being just enough to get out the paper and do a little commercial printing. P. J. HAINEY installed a cylinder press ran by power, and had the best equipment by far up to that time. . . . . . "
P. J. HAINEY and wife, Jane MARLOW, had at
least four children. Information about the children has been
obtained from the 1901 biography, Will and Probate papers of P.
J. Hainey, and stones at Masonic Cemetery, Barnard, Nodaway